Switching From A 485 Visa to Student Visa

Are you looking to switch from a 485 Visa to a Student Visa?

If you are currently in Australia on a 485 visa then you are eligible to switch to a student visa. This is a common pathway to remain in Australia longer and is a longer-term pathway towards Australian permanent residency.

Our Registered Migration Agents and Certified Education Agents have all the knowledge and expertise to ensure you have a successful Australian student visa application.

Transitioning From A 485 Visa To A 500 Visa Can Be VERY Particular. You Don’t Need To Do It Alone.

Transitioning from a 485 visa to student 500 visa requires submitting a student visa application  which can be very confusing to complete alone. Even if you do feel confident about applying yourself, it’s always best to consult with a professional before you commit to anything.

The team at Active Study has many years’ experience of helping international students make successful visa applications. Why not book a chat today to find out how we can help you?

best course to study in australia
australian course enrollment

What Visa Do You Need To Study In Australia? 485 Visa to 500 Visa

A 500 visa is required to study in Australia, regardless of your field of study or qualification. This visa allows you to study: English (ELICOS), Certificates I, II, III & IV, Diplomas, Degrees, Masters & Doctorates. Studying in Australia allows students to obtain internationally recognised qualifications whilst continuing to experience the diverse culture and beautiful sights that Australia has to offer. Switch from your 485 visa to a student visa, contact our team and set up a free chat.

What's My Assessment Level?

In the student visa program, there are five assessment levels. They serve to bring into line the visa requirements to the immigration risk posed by applicants from a particular country studying in a particular education sector. While the first assessment level shows the lowest immigration risk rates, the last level is associated with the highest risks. The higher the rates, the stronger the evidence you need to provide to support your claims for a student visa to be granted.

Switching To Student Visa From 485 Visa - What Are The Australian Student Visa Requirements?

You must be enrolled for full-time study in a registered course or part of a registered course

A registered course is an education or training course offered by an Australian education provider registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS).

Your individual circumstances must demonstrate that you genuinely intend to stay in Australia temporarily.

The factors that are considered during assessment of the genuine temporary entrant (GTE) requirement include: your personal circumstances in your home country, your potential circumstances in Australia, the value of the course to your future, your immigration history, and any other matter that is relevant to your intention to remain in Australia temporarily

In order to study in Australia, you need to prove that you are able to pay all the travel, tuition and living expenses. If you are accompanied by a partner and/or children, you need to show that you are able to cover their expenses too, even if they will be staying in your home country throughout your studies.

Here is the minimum amount of money expressed in Australian dollars which you need to have in order to get a Student Visa below. Keep in mind that living costs might be even higher. 

  • Travel costs: the cost of an airline ticket from your home country to Australia 
  • Tuition fees: the full amount of your tuition fee for one year of your study; children who are between 5 and 18 years old need to have $8,296 per annum.
  • Living costs: you need to show that you have at least $21,014 for the first year. If you have a partner, you need to have an additional $7,360 per year, and add another $3,152 for each child.

Australia enjoys some of the best health standards in the world. To maintain these standards, the majority of visa applicants are required to undertake a medical to be granted a visa. We refer to this as ‘meeting the health requirements’.

You must have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the duration of your visa. The OSHC cover can be provided from our partners Bupa or Medibank Health Solutions. Your visa expiry date will be determined by the expiry date of your OSHC.

The level of English is most often specified by the education provider, however a minimum level is required for all students. This must be evidenced at the time of application unless you are partaking in an English (ELICOS) course prior to your main course of study.

You must be of good character to enter Australia. The information you provide on the ‘Character Declaration’ section of your application will be used to assess your character. A police clearance may also be required.

Australian Values Statement

If you are aged 18 years or over, you must declare that you will respect Australian values and obey the laws of Australia.

australian permanent residency

All Reviews from Our Clients