Student Visa extension

Student Visa Extension Australia

Are you looking to extend your visa, change course and apply for a new student visa?

If you are currently in in possession of an Australia student visa, you are eligible to switch courses and apply for a new student visa (essentially extending yoru student visa). This is a common pathway to remain in Australia longer and is a longer-term pathway towards Australian permanent residency, especially for those who have changed the focus of their career.

Our Registered Migration Agents and Certified Education Agents have all the knowledge and expertise to help you successfully extend you student visa 

australian permanent residency

student visa extension Australia

What Are The Australian Student Visa Requirements?

You must be enrolled for full-time study in a registered course or part of a registered course

A registered course is an education or training course offered by an Australian education provider registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS).

Your individual circumstances must demonstrate that you genuinely intend to stay in Australia temporarily.

The factors that are considered during assessment of the genuine temporary entrant (GTE) requirement include: your personal circumstances in your home country, your potential circumstances in Australia, the value of the course to your future, your immigration history, and any other matter that is relevant to your intention to remain in Australia temporarily

You must have enough money to pay for travel, tuition and living expenses for yourself, your partner and your dependent children for the duration of your stay in Australia. You must also have enough money to support your partner and dependent children, even if they do not travel with you to Australia.

You must meet the following financial requirements.

Travel, tuition and living expenses

The table below outlines the amounts in Australian dollars (AUD) that you need access to. These amounts are the minimum required for this visa. They do not necessarily represent the cost of living in Australia.

ExpensesPer PersonAmount required in AUD
TravelYourselfReturn air fare to Australia
Family membersOne return air fare to Australia per person
TuitionYourselfCourse fees
Children aged 5-18AUD 8,296 per year
LivingYourselfAUD 21,014 per year
PartnerAUD 7,362 per year
ChildrenAUD 3,152 per year

Australia enjoys some of the best health standards in the world. To maintain these standards, the majority of visa applicants are required to undertake a medical to be granted a visa. We refer to this as ‘meeting the health requirements’.

You must have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the duration of your visa. The OSHC cover can be provided from our partners Bupa or Medibank Health Solutions. Your visa expiry date will be determined by the expiry date of your OSHC.

The level of English is most often specified by the education provider, however a minimum level is required for all students. This must be evidenced at the time of application unless you are partaking in an English (ELICOS) course prior to your main course of study.

You must be of good character to enter Australia. The information you provide on the ‘Character Declaration’ section of your application will be used to assess your character. A police clearance may also be required.

Australian Values Statement

If you are aged 18 years or over, you must declare that you will respect Australian values and obey the laws of Australia.

500 visa extension australia

Switch Courses & Apply For A Student Visa. You Don’t Need To Do It Alone.

Extending a 500 visa in Australia is essentially the same as applying for an initial visa. You simply must be progressing in studies and have some relevance. submitting a student visa extension application can be very confusing to complete alone. Even if you do feel confident about applying yourself, it’s always best to consult with a professional before you commit to anything.

The team at Active Study Australia has many years’ experience of helping international students make successful visa applications. Why not book a chat today to find out how we can help you?

student australian visa
australian course enrollment

australian student visa

What Visa Do You Need To Extend Student Visa In Australia?

A student visa is required to study in Australia, regardless of your field of study or qualification. Student visa extensions allow you to study: English (ELICOS), Certificates I, II, III & IV, Diplomas, Degrees, Masters & Doctorates. Studying in Australia allows students to obtain internationally recognised qualifications whilst continuing to experience the diverse culture and beautiful sights that Australia has to offer. Extend your 500 student visa, contact our team and set up a free chat.

What's My Assessment Level?

There are three assessment levels in the student visa programme. Assessment level 1 represents the lowest immigration risk and assessment level 3 the highest. A combination of your country of passport and education provider will determine your assessment level. The higher the assessment level, the greater the evidence an applicant is required to demonstrate for the visa application. Active Study Australia can help you determine your assessment level and help you decide which documents you require for your student visa application.